Saturday, June 7, 2008

Internet access

I finally got internet access back yesterday. Mom has satellite tv, so no cable internet. I tried DSL with our local phone company, but after waiting over a week and being given 3 different activation dates, none of which saw service being activated, I finally went cellular. I ordered it about 11:00 Thursday, received the pcmcia modem card Friday after being told it would probably arrive next Monday or Tuesday, installed the software, inserted the card, and it worked. It just worked.

Since out here in western Oklahoma we are a few years behind the big cities, technology-wise, I'm running on a 2 or 2.5 G network (GPRS and/or EDGE)but it's still faster than dialup and I have service anywhere I have cell phone service. Yes, it's a little more expensive than DSL, but it's the price I choose to pay for the freedom to access my email, blog and the internet whenever I want to. Around the big cities I should be able to reach speeds approaching that of DSL, and if my ISP ever gets their 3.5 G network setup, my modem is capable of 7.2 Mbps download speed. This is SWEET.

No comments: