Monday, July 7, 2008

Happenings

I haven't posted much lately but I have an excuse.

A few weeks ago, Ravon was hit by a thrown bottle as she was driving down the street in Beech Grove IN. She was taken to the ER where they stitched her up and sent her home. When the swelling started going down she was in pain and had blurred vision. She then was sent to an optometrist who is also a plastic (reconstructive) surgeon. This surgeon found some of the bones that hold the eyeball in (the orbit) were shattered so he scheduled her for reconstructive surgery.

July 1 she went into surgery at 8:34 AM and was in recovery about 12:20. It took 3 members of the surgical team about 3.5 hours to remove the shattered bone, lay it out on the table, piece it together like a jigsaw puzzle, reinforce it with a titanium plate, re-attach the whole mess with 7 screws and sew her back up. Thanks to the surgical team, my daughter may not lose her sight. Thank you's all around to that team.

I was getting everything ready to leave home June 27 when my mother asked if I thought she could make the trip also. I told her to pack a bag and we would find out. We left June 28 and arrived Indy June 29. Yes, we took the Lincoln. I found that with careful driving and at 65 mph, that car will get 27.5 mpg. A 2003 Lincoln Towncar with minimal prep (I didn't even check the air in the tires) will get 27.5 mpg.

Anywho, back to our story. The reason we came to Indy was to take care of the Poot while her mom convalesced. So for the past week, my mother and I have spent about 10-12 hrs per day chasing a 14 month old toddler around. Also for the last week, we have been eating mostly fast food. I am dreaming of the time I get home to get back in the kitchen. I am beginning to seriously dislike fast food, again.

Today, Ravon went back to the surgeon to get checked on. They removed her stitches, then told her she could start helping with the baby and if everything was OK after a couple of days she could take over the care of the Poot, so it looks like we will be headed west about Wednesday.

I have a list of things to get done when we get home, and up near the top of the list is get the trailer built. I hope to never have to stay in a motel and eat fast food for an extended period (anything over 2 or 3 days) again in my life. I hope to make the trip back up here in late October and hope to be pulling the trailer when I do.

No comments: