Wednesday, November 26, 2008

100 things to do before you die

While surfing the web this afternoon, I ran across this list from Mostly Cajun. My answers are in bold.

1. Started your own blog Well, your reading it.
2. Slept under the stars Many, many times. Some planned, a couple of times unplanned.
3. Played in a band. 2nd drummer jr high marching band.
4. Visited Hawaii 1998 with my mother, father, brother and his wife, and my daughter.
5. Watched a meteor shower. Once in the Arizona desert outside of Tucson.
6. Given more than you can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyland Twice in the 1960's when I was a kid.
8. Climbed a mountain
9. Held a praying mantis Yep
10. Sang a solo At church.
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch. Welding
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning. A couple of times, truckstop and convenience store food.
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown your own vegetables. Yep, we had a garden when I was a kid.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight. Duh, I had brothers and a sister.
22. Hitch hiked When the truck I was driving broke down.
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill. Hasn't everybody?
24. Built a snow fort. Not much snow in western OK, but we tried.
25. Held a lamb. I held pieces of lamb on my fork. Does that count?
26. Gone skinny dipping. 10-12 years old
27. Run a Marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset. Many a sunset, and too many sunrises.
31. Hit a home run One time. Little league.
32. Been on a cruise. Gambling cruise out of Savannah, Ga.
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors. Recent ancestors, yes. Ancestors from Europe, not yet.
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language. I speak and understand a little border Tex-Mex, a smaller amount of French, some Yankee, some jive, and a truly small amount of Korean. I'm fluent in redneck, and am trying to learn to speak English properly.
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied. For me it doesn't take much. If my bills are paid, I have enough to buy food and other consumables as needed, and I have a little extra for pocket money, I'm content.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.
39. Gone rock climbing. In a Jeep.
40. Seen Michelangelos David
41. Sung karaoke. I was slightly inebriated (all right I was drunker than a waltzing pissant) but I did it and didn't embarrass myself excessively.
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt. Yep in 1974.
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant. A couple of times when I was driving truck.
44. Visited Africa. Does Watts count?
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight. One of my most precious memories was walking on Waikiki beach about 22:00 with my daughter in October 1998.
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had your portrait painted. I had a caricature done at 6 Flags once. Does that count?
48. Gone deep sea fishing. Once out of Monterrey, Ca with my father and brother and once out of Port Aransas, Tx with my daughter.
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling. Snorkeling in Hanoma Bay, Hi.
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud. For fun AND also for profit.
54. Gone to a drive-in theater. Got my face slapped there, too.
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business. Uh Huh. I started a trucking company and kept at it until I went broke.
58. Taken a martial arts class. 3 years.
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason. Once. I wonder where she is now?
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma. Many times.
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check. Unintentionally
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy. I still have my first 410 shotgun.
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten Caviar. There was a time in my life when I just had to try caviar and champagne. Now I'm happy with beer and peanuts.
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Tour the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job. Outright fired for being a smartass once and "laid off" once.
76. See the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone. 3 or 4 and still haven't been to the doctor to have one set. The healed cracks do show up on x-rays though.
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle. 110 mph on a Harley, about 145 on a Katana.
79. See the Grand Canyon in person
80. Publish a book
81. Visit the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car. One. A 1979 turbo Mustang. I wish I still had that car.
83. Walk in Jerusalem
84. Had your picture in the newspaper. 2 or 3 times when I was younger.
85. Read the entire Bible. A couple of times. I need to do it again.
86. Visit the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating. Deer, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, quail, duck, frogs and fish.
88. Had chickenpox. When I was a kid.
89. Saved someone’s life. Did cpr on an older gentleman that I thought was having a heart attack once.
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous. Reba McIntire, Willy Nelson and Dan Haggerty.
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one. Too many.
94. Had a baby. My ex had one I fathered. Does that count?
95. Seen the Alamo in person. 1968
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake. About 1967. I was sunburned and still remember the pain.
97. Been involved in a law suit. On both sides at different times.
98. Owned a cell phone. Since 1995.
99. Been stung by a bee. Damn that hurt, but yellow jackets hurt worse.
100. Read an entire book in one day. Many times. I love to read.

No comments: